Thursday, June 7, 2012

It's Really Real

Sold my Pfaff Serger yesterday, so now I know it's really real!
Funny how a person holds onto things. I just had to have ___ (fill in the blank) years ago for ___ (whatever reasons, again fill in the blank), but now I've found it just doesn't fit into my life/space/dream. Many of the items that are finding their way onto Craigslist were "have to have" items at one time. Used for the intended purpose then just left to sit and collect dust. Going through my cupboards for the upcoming yard sale is showing me just how many things fit that description. When I look at them with my "get real" glasses on I can see that they are of little or no purpose any longer. If I don't need it, love it, use it, then I have to lose it. We don't have room in our new home for anything that doesn't fit that criteria. Yet I find myself clinging to some things that have fulfilled or outlived their purpose many years ago. Am I hanging onto unrealized potential or dreams of what could have beens? No matter. There's always a shop somewhere that will have a replacement "whatever", if I should find I need one down the road. For now though; the cash in our pockets means a whole lot more than paying storage for useless stuff.

What I'm Reading Now:
"This Is a Soul - The Mission of Rick Hodes" by Marilyn Berger
The story of Dr. Rick Hodes and the wonderful work he's done at Mother Teresa's clinic in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, but more importantly his living example of altruism. Another inspiring instance of how one person can make a difference.

What I Just Finished Reading:
"Wild Goose Chase" by Terri Thayer
Simplistic murder mystery. (Nancy Drew grows up to be a quilter). I won't bother with this author again. Too bad, because the premise sounded great. Just not enough meat on the bones for me though.

"Letters of a Woman Homesteader" by Elinore Pruitt Stewart
Pioneer diary format through old letters. Interesting insight into the difficulties of such a life. 

Quote(s) for the Day:

"A useless life is an early death."

"All things are only transitory."

"knowing is not enough, we must apply
willing is not enough, we must do.."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


No comments:

Post a Comment