Monday, August 27, 2012

Keeping Busy

     Lot's of changes in my dealing with my medical condition. I am working on being more proactive. Not an easy thing to do. I have been doing some serious reading regarding a more natural approach to dealing with rheumatoid arthritis. There is a lot of information out there, and everyone seems to have "the answer". Finding that, as with most things, there seems to be a bit of truth in everything. Some of the concepts keep coming up repeatedly though: Cutting out (or greatly reducing) sugar, caffeine, nicotine, salt, processed foods, food additives, red meats, and fat. Wow!
     Most of the success stories I've read are coming from people that have adopted a mostly Vegan type eating program with a regular exercise routine. Makes sense, but change never comes easily. All I know is that I have come to the point where I don't want to live my life dependent on a bunch of medicine (that may or may not be that great for me) and seeing no relief from the chronic pain I deal with daily while watching my body fall apart. I have too much to do and way too much to live for. We have been making changes slowly, but I'm at the point now where I need to really step things up and see if any of this stuff will help. I'm doubting that Honeyman will ever give up his Dr Pepper or white sugar, but I can do what I need to do for me, and maybe he'll follow along kicking and screaming...lol
      A funny on him that I just have to share: We had just finished our breakfast of a multi-grain hot cereal with flax. Mine had some blueberries while his had a generous sprinkle of white sugar (hey, it's a process). He made a comment about that not being our usual oatmeal which he prefers... then took a big swig of Dr Pepper to clear the taste from his mouth! I love this guy!!!
     So I'm trying to get things set up here in the 5er to make it more comfy and organized for full-time living, and to get ready for our move to Seguin next week. When I'm not moving too well I'm sitting and knitting or reading.
This picture does not do this pair justice! They are made with a wonderful 100% Merino wool with just a little stretch. Feel awesome, and the best part was the yarn was a gift!

Certainly not my usual color choice, but this was some amazing yarn that was also a gift. I had never used any knitpicks yarn before, but I certainly will in the future! Another 100% Merino wool so am adding some reinforcement yarn for the heels and toes for added strength and wear. I can't believe how reasonable their prices are for such a great quality yarn. I highly recommend it for anyone out there that likes fiber. They have online shopping and a paper catalog you can order at their website.

What I Just Finished Reading:
"Eat To Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. (wonderful insight into healthy eating and all the whys along with his book "Fasting and Eating for Health - A Medical Doctor's Program For conquering Disease". Good Stuff!)
"The Ghosts of Varner Creek" by Michael Weems (Good mystery/ghost story, well written, fast read)

What I'm Reading Now:
"Send Yourself Roses: Thoughts on My Life, Love, and Leading Roles" by Kathleen Turner (Interesting autobiography showing a strong survivor, and how she has dealt with living with rheumatoid arthritis. I'm looking for inspiration and she gives it in spades with some colorful language)

What's on My Needles:
Socks, Socks, Socks.... but I'm thinking a lacy shawl or a new sweater are in my future now that I've been drooling over the yarns at knitpicks

Quote For The Day:
"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it." Helen Keller




2 comments:

  1. I really like those orange and yellow socks. They're real knockouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious if you ever thought of changing the structure of your site?

    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.

    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures.

    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Visit my web-site ... how can i lose weight

    ReplyDelete